Conservative treatment involves bracing and supporting the weak bone in order to prevent fractures. If a fracture or bowing of the tibia has occurred surgery will be necessary to salvage the limb.
Surgical treatment for OFD is the same as that for congenital pseudarthrosis of the tibia (CPT). Treatment involves the following steps:
- Resection of the hamartoma
- Splitting and invagination of the two bone ends
- Insertion of Fassier-Duval nail to tibia and K-wire to fibula
- Periosteal graft
- Bone graft
- Bone morphogenic protein (BMP)
- Application of circular external fixator (TSF or Ilizarov)
- Zolidronic acid (Zometa) infusion before and after surgery
For more specific information on the treatment steps for osteofibrous dysplasia, please see Treatment Strategies for Congenital Pseudarthrosis of the Tibia.